Monday, June 12, 2006

Whew! A long post

Yes, I'm back after my long hiatus. Sometimes it just gets too hectic to blog. I just want to say I do not live a boring life. LOL.

I've done so much stuff since I last blogged that I'm sure to forget something, but here goes:

*I went to MacHaydn Theater to see South Pacific. I loved it! I had seen the movie on TV and hadn't enjoyed it, but this was a really good production.

*I had an orthodontist appointment, the last time seeing my orthodontist. No, my braces aren't off yet; my orthodontist's wife is sick, so he's closing his practice. I have to go to another orthodontist that we don't really like, but what can you do?

*I went (along with my family) to a farewell party for a dear friend, Hannah, who is dying. Her daughter moved her to be with her family for the last couple of weeks.


Hannah about two years ago. Behind her is a painting she bought in Paris. I forget who the artist is but I know it's by someone well known.


The painting close up.

*We went to the Catskill Mountain Foundation to see Candida, a play by George Bernard Shaw. It was super great, very high quality.

*Mom and I went to Kaatsbaan to see The Carlota Santana Spanish Dance Company. My flamenco teacher was there with her children. Her youngest daughter is so cute!

*We went to see Kinky Boots. This movie was really good. It was so hilarious at the end that everyone in the theater was roaring with laughter.

Whew! I think that just about sums it up.

I actually did get a chance to make some stuff, I just didn't take pictures of all of it. Here are some pictures though:


Falafel burgers (from Vegetarian Planet). In the burgers there was sauteed onion, carrot, and garlic; chickpeas, parsley*, tahini, cumin, chickpea flour, baking soda (not quite sure why it was called for), and lemon. I served it up on toasted Ezekial hamburger buns spread with Dijon mustard. The funny looking stuff on the burgers is romaine lettuce*, and on the side there's steamed Swiss chard*, cauliflower*, and broccoli*.

A while ago Rachel brought home two cans of Jyoti natural foods madras sambar (if you click on the link and scroll down a little, you should see what I'm talking about.) I decided to use a recipe on the label for vegetable soup with lentils. I changed it a little, but it consisted of onions, tomatoes*, celery*, kale*, cabbage*, carrots, sweet potatoes, zucchini*, garlic, ginger, olive oil, and the madras sambar cans*. It was so good! It made a lot so there's lots of leftovers.
I don't think I've mentioned it before, but Indian cuisine might just be my favorite cuisine! I adore the flavoring, and I want to start making more Indian food.
Anyway.......


here's a picture of shredded lettuce* with creamy curry dressing, alongside a glass of soymilk.


The vegetable soup with lentils, served over long grain brown rice. I was going to garnish the bowl with minced cilantro, but I thought it would ruin the flavor of the soup.

The Daily Roundup Of Food Rachel Brought Home: wilted chard (it had to be dumped), scallions, rappini, baby bok choy, field greens, lettuce, broccoli, a zucchini, flat and curly parsley, mushrooms, thyme, tomatoes, a rotten pear, a rotten papaya, strawberries, a motherload of bananas, and baked tofu in Italian and Caribbean flavors.

I've also been spending some time over at veggin' out, a forum for female veg bloggers that Harmonia started.
It's super-dee-duper cool. Check it out!

Tomorrow I'm planning on cooking something, but we're going to the movies so I might not get a chance to blog.

Bye!

4 comments:

KleoPatra said...

Lookin' good. The art AND the food! Nice to see you back. I've missed your posts. See you at Harmonia's Veggin Out site...

funwithyourfood said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. These things are so hard to handle sometimes.


but Yay.. we're both part of the mod squad : )

Teddy

Dori said...

I was just writing my MwM post. I said I have a huge interest in indian food, I would like to master it someday. I haven't published this yet.... but then I come here and see you enjoy indian food. Are we on the same page or what!

Hugs.

Freedom said...

Wow that was long! All the food looks great and I too am sorry to hear about your friend but at least she is surrounded by those who love her.
I remember you mentioned awhile back that you have 'The Everyday Vegan' and I'd like to make a recommendation... the Mexican Tortilla Triangles. They are heaven, and my very omnivorous father agreed! I strongly suggest you try them.