Monday, August 21, 2006

I'm back, complete with food pictures

Ugh, on Friday morning I woke up with a sore throat and a really croupy cough and a runny nose, so I couldn't go in to work. Basically I just drank lots of Throat Coat, Echinacea, and Breath Easy tea and rested on Friday, although I did get a chance to clean up the bathroom a little bit. Yeah, I'm kind of weird, I like to clean. I was really bummed though, because I couldn't go see a theater performance I really wanted to see. On Saturday my sore throat was gone, but my voice had that annoying stuffed up sound that drives me insane, and I had a couple of pretty yucky coughing fits. I did feel well enough to go see a performance with Dar Williams and Katie Curtis, and I'm glad I went because I really loved both of them. Though perhaps Katie Curtis just a wee bit more. It was really icky weather though, quite rainy and damp, and the performance was in a tent! Certain parts of the tent were really muddy, but luckily we weren't in that part. On Saturday afternoon, I didn't really want to cook, so Rachel made something!


Rachel made: ramen noodles* simmered in homemade vegetable broth powder (from in upcoming cookbook review) with baby spinach*, scallions*, and some powdered ginger (she wanted to put fresh ginger in it, but we didn't have any). Isn't the garnish of little carrots so cute? Yummy, just the right thing for a sick person.


This was a quick meal that I threw together: long grain brown rice, Amy's spicy chili*, baby spinach*, and Follow Your Heart Monterey Jack Cheese that actually melted!!! (It's very pricey, so it's just going to be a once in a while treat.)



Cranberry* Pumpkin Muffins. Since I'm trying to clean our pantry up a bit, I'm trying to use stuff up, so these have canned pumpkin in them. They were an experiment, but they aren't that good. Of course, if you spread almond butter on them, they taste better, but doesn't everything taste better with almond butter?


Easy French Bread from La Dolce Vegan. I love making bread! I omitted the seeds the recipe called for, because I was using the bread in another recipe. What is it, you may ask? Well, you'll just have to see!


Faux Ham: I used the flavoring found in La Dolce Vegan, but for the actual seitan recipe I used the recipe found in Good Time Eatin' In Cajun Country. It was good, but I may have messed the amounts up, because it was really salty due to the tamari in it.


Pizza frittata (sauteed onion*, pepper*, and potato*, white beans, tofu, fresh tomato*, whole wheat flour, nutritional yeast, arrowroot, dried basil, black pepper, and tumeric). After the frittata was done I shredded the last of the FYH Monterey Jack cheese on top and broiled it for a few minutes. Deliciousness!

That is all.

4 comments:

funwithyourfood said...

glad to hear you're feeling better!
you must be- look at all that food

teddy

KleoPatra said...

i have some kind of allergy thing goin' on as well! YUCK!

Your photos make me want to eat it all... i totally love the food you made!!!

Nikk said...

Food always makes me feel better! :)

Everything looks delicious!

t. said...

I feel your pain since I have been pretty sick myself lately: nose is all stuffed up, ears are closed and no ear liquid can clear them up, upper lip is burning. Buahhhh!!!!

My cry-baby self feels better looking at your food though!