Sunday, May 21, 2006

Sunday's cooking

Another day spent in the kitchen. Today I decided to use up the fruit Rachel brought home last week, so I made some stewed pears and an apple crisp. Here's a (blurry) picture of the apple crisp.

This photo is of the apple crisp plain, but we actually had it in a bowl
with some vanilla almond milk poured over it. For the crisp part, I used the recipe for the
Wildflower Apple Crisp from Cooking On The Right Side of The Brain. (I highly recommend this book, it's one of my favorites.)
It consists of rolled oats, whole wheat pastry flour, vegetable oil, and barley malt or maple syrup (I use the maple).
I used barley flakes in place of the rolled oats, because we have hardly any oats left.

I don't have a picture of the stewed pears, but I think everyone can imagine what they look like, lol.

I steamed some swiss chard to have for dinner sometime this week, and I also steamed some vegetables for tomorrow's dinner. What are we having? It's a suprise, so come back and see.

Here's what we had for dinner tonight:



At the top is smoky black-eyed peas over blue cornbread,
then some tomato slices, steamed kale with the Golden Gravy
from Vegan Vittles, and some baked butternut squash. Dee-licious!

For the smoky black-eyed peas, I took cooked black-eyed peas and simmered them
in a smoky onion-garlic marinade (this recipe is from The Passionate Vegetarian, another one of my favorite cookbooks) for a couple of hours.

The blue cornbread was an adaptation of another cornbread recipe. It tasted good with the black-eyed peas, but I don't know how good it would have tasted plain, so I'm not going to post the recipe.

I also made Adzuki-Miso Spread and an Oriental Dressing, both for tomorrow's lunch, and both from Cooking On The Right Side of The Brain.

I guess that's it. Come back tomorrow night to see what I made!

1 comment:

Harmonia said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! Yeah...I'm into curries, too!

I'll be back to see what you made! Can't wait!