Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Eggplant Parmesan

Today we had Parmesan-Style Eggplant from Vegan Planet (I made a few adjustments) over vegetable spirals*, and salad* with cherry tomatoes*, nutritional yeast, and Lemon-Shoyu Dressing.



The eggplant was kind of tough, so the dish wasn't as pleasant as it should have been. But who am I to complain, at least I have food.

Anyway, I loosely followed the recipe for for the eggplant parmesan. I left out the meat substitute, and I didn't make tomato sauce like the recipe said to; instead I used some organic tomato sauce Rachel brought home a while back. I added some portabello mushrooms*, parsley*, and zucchini* to the simmering tomato sauce, then layered the tomato sauce, roasted eggplant*, and Tasty Topping (from Ecological Cooking, my favorite substitution for parmesan cheese). I'm not sure why the eggplant came out tough, because I had a lid on the casserole dish I baked it in, so that it would steam.
Okay, moving on. A while back Rachel brought home about 5 pounds! of vegetable spirals, so I'm trying to use some of them up, hence us having some for dinner today. :)

Tomorrow I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to blog, because we're going to the local high school for a lecture series. Today I made the Cauliflower Potato Soup with Nutmeg from La Dolce Vegan, so it can sit till tomorrow (since soup always tastes better on the second day anyway). I'm planning on making some kind of quick bread to go with it, so stay tuned!

The Daily Roundup Of Food Rachel Brought Home Today:
kale, swiss chard, lettuce, leeks, cilantro, broccoli, green cabbage, limes, and baby carrots.

That's all, bye!

No comments: