Sunday, September 03, 2006

My top 5 foods

I was tagged by Jennifer C. over at Muddling Towards Frugality for a meme that's going around (it started over at The Traveler's Lunchbox- you can see the original post here). You have to pick 5 things you think everyone should eat before they die, so I thought for a long time about what my top 5 foods would be, and here's what I came up with:

(In no particular order)

1. Pesto-There is nothing as wonderful as the scent of fresh basil, and when you combine basil with garlic and nuts (my personal favorite is walnuts) and oil you wind up with quite a bit of heaven on earth. My favorite recipe for pesto can be found here. (When I make it, I substitute hemp oil for the olive oil, and instead of processing the garlic and oil first I just buzz everything together.)

2. Garlic-Maybe this is my Italian ancestry, but I think even if I wasn't part Italian I would love garlic. Anyway you eat garlic, it is delicious (I'm curious, am I the only person to eat roasted garlic plain?). I'm lucky because each year there's a garlic festival a few towns over from me, and there's always loads and loads of different varieties of garlic to smell and buy. Okay, I lied. When I said anyway you eat garlic it's delicious, I was not including the garlic ice cream they sell at the garlic festival.

3. Fruit sorbet, preferably grapefruit-There is nothing more refreshing on a hot summer day than eating some fruit sorbet. Don't you agree? During the summer I enjoy eating Jane's sorbets.

4. Fresh from the garden, big, juicy tomatoes. I have a very hard time eating under-ripe tomatoes. That's right, only the biggest, juiciest, look-at-me-I've-never-been-refridgerated summer tomato will do for me.

5. Peanut Sauce- Peanut butter, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, maybe a few other ingredients, that's what it's all about. Peanut sauce can make anything taste better (well, maybe not everything, but you know what I mean). I adore it over noodles or over broccoli or over rice.

I'll have you know that it was very hard for me to come to my decision. Runners-up included cornbread, focaccia, and freshly baked apple pie, among other things. However, I did make up my mind, and that's what matters. Now I pass on the agonizing to 5 other bloggers:

1. Spice Island Vegan
2. Rae over at Bunnyfoot
3. Dilip over at Dinner with Dilip
4. Brokevegan
5. Vegan Cyclist

I'm very curious to see what's on their lists.

Goodbye all!

6 comments:

Dilip said...

Thanks for your tag. Take a look at my blog entry for today for my initial ideas; I hope soon to have my list of five (though it will be difficult!)

funwithyourfood said...

I picked tomatoes too!

Teddy

Anonymous said...

Great list! It's so hard to pick just 5, isn't it?

-Jennifer C.
http://muddlingtowardsfrugality.blogspot.com/

K Allrich said...

Love your list! [Tomatoes and garlic made mine, too!] Yay for summer ripe tomatoes and raosted garlic. No you're not the only one who eats roasted garlic on its own. ;-)

Dilip said...

It was tough, but check out http://dilipdinner.blogspot.com/2006/09/vegan-sausage-with-grilled-peppers.html

KleoPatra said...

Good stuff, pc!!