Sunday, September 17, 2006

Lots of pictures, some food some not

It's been a while, hasn't it? My blogging will most likely be sporadic for a while, between work and schoolwork I don't know if I can fit it in. I'm going to be working Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays, unless they call me and need me to come in. I had thought I was going to be bussing, but they hired a busser, so I'm doing dishes and prep work. Anyhoo, over the weekend I made Susan a belated graduation dinner, because she recently finished up her MBA. We had:


50's Style Onion Dip Redux and Crunchy Toast.......



Roasted Red Pepper Soup (without the cilantro jalapeno swirl that is an optional part of the recipe-Susan hates Cilantro)....



Outrageously Good Pan Crisped Millet Vegetable Cakes over steamed kale with Mushroom Sauce Veronese over top, also shown is mashed butternut squash. In the cakes were millet, beets, carrots*, garlic*, and other stuff. You can't really tell in the picture, but I made them heart shaped. (I didn't crisp the cakes in a pan, instead I broiled them.) All the recipes were from The Passionate Vegetarian except......


Chocolate Clementine Cake!!!!!! I used the recipe for Raspberry Blackout Cake from Vegan With A Vengeance, using the applesauce conversion in the book to make it lower in fat. I also subbed this super fancy, super expensive clementine marmalade in place of the raspberry jam, and I used all whole wheat pastry flour. It was so out of this world, and rich, and my dad was like, "This cake is vegan?". Haha.


This is a Chickpea-Arame Salad Sammich (from Vegan With A Vengeance). It's supposed to be a Chickpea-Hijiki Salad Sammich, but I couldn't find any hijiki. On the side are some steamed green beans. This was so delicious! We all loved it so much I made it twice this week.


Rachel brought this home from work the other day. It's a shopping list. Isn't it awesome?


This is a bad picture, but it's the Alfreda sauce from Vegan With A Vengeance served over whole wheat mini shells, steamed broccoli*, sauteed mushrooms*, and roasted red peppers.


Let's see. This was something we had last week: breakfast for dinner. VWaV tofu scramble with salsa, avocado*, and black beans added in; VWaV tempeh sausage crumbles over roasted potatoes*, carrots*, and onions; sprouted grain bread with Earth Balance and Grape Jelly*, and grapes. Mmm, I love having breakfast food for dinner.


This was our table setting when we had our breakfast for dinner.


OMG, aren't the butlers the cutest things ever? (They're jam spreaders.)


Mmm, coffee with agave nectar and almond milk.


Soy Delicious Purely Decadent Cherry Nirvana ice cream with fresh pineapple* and chocolate syrup. I didn't really like the cherry nirvana one plain, but it was awesome with the other stuff. My favorite flavor (of the ones I've tried) is the Mint Chocolate Chip kind. So yum.


This was sprouted grain pasta with Pumpkin Seed Avocado* spread (from How It All Vegan-it uses sunflower seeds, but I switched it up a little). On the side is sauteed baby arugala* with cherry tomatoes* and parsley, and also some honeydew. The honeydew was fermented, so I actually didn't eat it.


This was Papadini Lentil Rotini, tomato sauce made from sauteed carrots*, mushrooms*, yellow bell peppers*, onions, celery*, garlic*, and sausage crumbles from Vegan Vittles. Sprinkeled over the top is Tasty Topping from Ecological Cooking. I love the bowls we were eating out of!


Finally, on Friday Rachel brought home 3 big bags of beauty products. We still haven't had a chance to go through them yet, they're sitting in our hallway waiting to be sorted.

That's all.

10 comments:

Nikk said...

You really make me wish I lived at your house.

:)

So yeah, did you know you have a long lost hungry sister? Hehe...

Unknown said...

wow - you have been eating REALLY REALLY well! I wish Rachel would bring a bag of goodies to my house

Anonymous said...

yes like megan say you are been eating extremely well! what a luck!
nice photos!

KleoPatra said...

Ohmygosh, so much food, so little time. GREAT STUFF there!

Your pasta bowl is so adorable, by the way, and i love what you have in there!! I also love the red, red soup in the yellow-orange bowl. Like a work of art. Nice moon bowls as well for the dip and toast. So cute!

I think i would freak over the Cherry Nirvana with the addin's. YUMMERZ. And just as wonderful is that clementine cake. Chocolate bliss. Wow. Nice that you made it lower in fat, too. That's so awesome that your dad was "fooled." Hee hee.

Those butlers *are* adorable! Nice shopping list pad. "Go Bananas!"

I know yer busy and it's understandable with the schoolwork and all that plus work. But keep us updated when you can.

;)

funwithyourfood said...

I like to put coconut milk in my coffee. creamier and has an extra something.
oh and one cake togo please

if you're not going to use those product I will. I have a mini obsession with trying stuff like that. you should see my bathroom haha


teddy

Teresa said...

Wow lots of food! Although I do love the banana note pad that you have too. I'm jealous that you get all that great free stuff. I hope that you try it and give some reviews!

-Teresa

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your previous posts -- they are very interesting. I love that you don't waste anything that your sister brings home!

My daughter and I are chips/dip fans so your onion dip looks very interesting to me. Did you use tofu or vegan sour cream to make it?

Jennifer C. said...

I can't believe how much cooking you are able to do! All I can say is WOW! Every time I read what Rachel brought home from work I wonder why I am not working in a natural foods store.

primaryconsumer said...

Thanks everyone!

Nikk, you're welcome as my long lost sister anytime!

Megan, haha!

Johanna, thanks! As long as I have good lighting, my pictures turn out really well.

Kleo, I'll update as much as I can. I miss blogging everyday!

Teddy, that's such a good idea about putting coconut milk in coffee. I'll have to try it!

Teresa, I will hopefully be doing some reviews in the future.

Midwest Vegan, I used silken tofu to make homemade tofu sour cream. I can email you the recipe for the dip if you want.

Jennifer, my family is really lucky because no one else at the health food store wants the food and other products, so we get to be hogs and take it all. Sometimes it's too much stuff and we give some away.

Anonymous said...

I would love the recipe, My email is midwestvegan@hotmail.com. Thanks.