Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Hello again fellow bloggers. Is anybody even reading this? Oh well:)

Today I had a guitar lesson (I'm playing Mahavishnu Orchestra stuff, which is my absolute favorite!). I'm going to go workout in a little while but I thought I'd write a little before I do.

Here's the recipe I promised

Cilantro Pesto:
2 jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
1 head garlic, thinly sliced
2/3 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
4 tbsp cilantro flavored extra virgin olive oil
(If this is unavailable you could substitute plain extra virgin
olive oil)
water, as needed
4 medium bunches cilantro, including some of the stems, coarsely chopped

In a blender, buzz the peppers, garlic, roasted pumpkin seeds, oil, and enough water to make a smooth paste. Add the cilantro (two bunches at a time if your blender is small) and some more water to help blend (be careful not to add to much or it won't be pesto, which may or may not be a bad thing, as this could probably be used as a sauce or salad dressing). Anyway, you want this the texture of normal pesto. Enjoy it over grains and veggies,use it as a dip for refried bean-stuffed corn tortillas, dip tortilla chips into it, use it for pesto quinoa salad (see below), be creative!




Pesto Quinoa Salad serves 4
this is very quick and delicious

4 cups cooked quinoa
2 15 oz. cans or (4 cups cooked) black beans
1 cup cilantro pesto

Mix everything together and chill.


Here's what I ate yesterday:

carrot apple juice (4 carrots and 2 apples put through the juicer. I wanted to use ginger but it was moldy:O)
1 cup soy yogurt with 1 tsp flax oil
1 cup oatmeal with gomashio


Pesto Quinoa Salad (see above)
8 oz. ricemilk with carob powder, ground cinnamon, and almond extract
1 cup pineapple chunks (canned)

1 Ezekial pita filled with Yves roasted turkey, shredded baby spinach, minced red onion, carrot pulp leftover from breakfast, avocado, nutritional yeast, and Peppery House dressing (from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook)
1 cup sauteed kale and garlic
8 oz. ricemilk with carob powder

I also had a cup of teechino (a caffeine free coffee substitute) with some French Vanilla soy creamer and some grapes my sister Rachel brought home (see below)


One of my two sisters, Rachel, works at a health food store, so she brings home expired foods and old produce. Our family is practically freegans at this point:)
I try to avoid a lot of soy products, but if Rachel brings some home and we can't give it to anybody we know, then I eat it because I don't like to see things wasted. I do draw the lines at some things though (not necessarily soy products).

I'm going to go work out now but before I go, here's what I ate so far today:

1 cup of oatmeal that was cooked in 8 oz ricemilk
3 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp raisins
1 tsp flax oil
and some grapes

A premade Thai veggie chicken (from Rachel)
5 corn tortillas (the brand I get has 6% of the calcium you need in a day in only one tortilla! It's not fortified, it's from the limestone it's processed with.)
2 cups steamed broccoli (from Rachel)


Here's what's on the menu for dinner:

Sauteed kale with garlic (the kale being from Rachel)
black-eyed peas
brown rice with golden gravy (from Vegan Vittles)
sauteed mushrooms
sweet potato (from Rachel*)
and carob milk


Do you see what I mean about us being freegans? LOL!

Chow for now!


I

No comments: